Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Season 1, Episode 1

Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire - The Simpsons Christmas Special.

So this is how it all begins. The telltale story of a dysfunctional family on Christmas with crappy slow moving animation and TGIF joke writing. Thank god America's standards for comedy were much lower back then, cause I dont think the Simpsons would have survived.

As bad as it is, it is classic Simpsons and the making of the show is all there. Flanders is already upstaging Homer unintentionally with his much better life, Homer already has deep hatred for Patty and Selma and Vice Versa, Moe's is the place to be when Homer is feeling down, and Lisa is already babbling intellectually while no one cares.

While Homer's character will come a long way in the episodes to come, he still has a lot of the root quality's he has today, especially when dealing with Marge. He is unable to bring himself to upset her which leads him to convincing her that there is no problem, which leads to hilarious antics (which thankfully get more hilarious over time) as he tries to solve the problem himself. And of course nothing ever works out as planned and a confession is in order, but this time there is a happy ending as a new Simpson is welcomed into the family and the bond holds.

I thought it was interesting how Snowball I was mentioned, cause I havent yet realized Snowball I was never actually a character on the show. Just a memory. I also laughed my ass off when Patty called the house and just kept saying "Marge Please" while Homer answered and inquired on who was calling.

Overall its a slow beginning, and knowing what I know now, Im comfortable with that.

Quotable Quotes:

In Bart's daydream about how Marge would react to him getting a 'Mother' Tattoo,
"...it's the best present a Mother could get, and it makes you look so dangerous." - Marge

While Santa's Little Helper is being welcomed into the family,
"...and if he runs away he'll be easy to catch." - Bart

1 comment:

Kezza said...

Yay... It begins! So I know the animation is crappy, but when I was watching it, I kept feeling like I was watching an old home movie. Which kind of makes sense.. the Simpsons have been a part of my life for a LONG time.